By Benjamin Wiker
These are their evil opposites. From Machiavelli's The Prince to Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto to Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male, those "influential" books have ended in conflict, genocide, totalitarian oppression, kinfolk breakdown, and disastrous social experiments. And but those authors' undesirable rules are nonetheless renowned and pervasive--in truth, they could impression your personal pondering with no your figuring out it. the following with the antidote is Professor Benjamin Wiker. In his scintillating new e-book, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area (And five Others that did not Help), he seizes each one of those evil books by way of its malignant middle and exposes it to the sunshine of day. during this witty, discovered, and provocative exposé, you will learn:
* Why Machiavelli's The Prince was once the muse for a protracted checklist of tyrannies (Stalin had it on his nightstand)
* How Descartes' Discourse on technique "proved" God's lifestyles basically through making Him a construction of our personal ego
* How Hobbes' Leviathan ended in the idea that we have got a "right" to no matter what we want
* Why Marx and Engels's Communist Manifesto may possibly win the award for the main malicious ebook ever written
* How Darwin's The Descent of guy proves he meant "survival of the fittest" to be utilized to human society
* How Nietzsche's past stable and Evil issued the decision for an international governed exclusively by means of the "will to power"
* How Hitler's Mein Kampf was once one of those "spiritualized Darwinism" that bills for his genocidal anti-Semitism
* How the pansexual paradise defined in Margaret Mead's Coming of Age in Samoa grew to become out to be a construction of her personal sexual confusions and aspirations
* Why Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male was once easily autobiography masquerading as science
Witty, stunning, and instructive, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area deals a brief schooling at the worst principles in human history--and how we will stay away from them within the future.
Read Online or Download 10 Books That Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help PDF
Similar conservatism & liberalism books
3 major figures within the box make this crucial contribution to debates approximately social coverage and gender family in an period of monetary restructuring and marketplace liberalism. based thematically and systematically comparative, the publication analyzes 3 key coverage parts: exertions markets, source of revenue upkeep and reproductive rights.
The social novel is the conventional hang-out of the liberal sense of right and wrong. What does the triumph of the recent correct suggest for this kind of fiction in Britain and the U.S.? should still the liberal left search consensus or statement? This e-book examines those concerns, and assesses the nation of either international locations, in addition to that of the modern novel.
Through the innovative period (1880-1920), prime thinkers and politicians remodeled American politics. Historians and political scientists have given loads of recognition to the progressives who effected this change. but rather little is understood concerning the conservatives who antagonistic those revolutionary suggestions, even though they performed a massive position within the debates and results of this era of yankee background.
American citizens at the present time are annoyed and concerned. Our economic system is gradual, and leaves employees insecure. source of revenue inequality, cultural divisions, and political polarization more and more pull us aside. Our governing associations frequently look paralyzed. And our politics has did not upward push to those demanding situations. No ask yourself, then, that Americans--and the politicians who symbolize them--are overwhelmingly nostalgic for a greater time.
- The Politics of Revenge: Fascism and the Military in Twentieth-Century Spain
- Life in Debt: Times of Care and Violence in Neoliberal Chile
- The Two Faces of Liberalism: How the Hoover-Roosevelt Debate Shapes the 21st Century (Conflicts & Trends in Business Ethics)
- The Compromise of Liberal Environmentalism
- Trickle down tyranny : crushing Obama's dream of the socialist states of America, Edition: 1st ed
Extra resources for 10 Books That Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help
20 As civil society is based on injustice and law is merely a tool for the rich to keep their riches, then rebellion of the have-nots is always justified. They have nothing to lose but their chains. Voila, the French Revolution . . and we are also back to Marx. Let us count up the evils we should lay at Rousseau's door with his Discourse on the Origin and Foundations ofInequality among Men. We have seen the connections to Marx, and so we'll put off until the next chapter a further discussion of the evils of Marxism.
Communism ! The main difference between Rousseau and Marx is that Marx thought technology could ultimately provide the kind of idleness and plenty that Rousseau identified only with our original condi tion. Marx therefore believed that human progress through the various developmental historical stages could bring us (after the final cataclysmic revolution) to a condition of equality and property free communism. Marx was not Rousseau's only revolutionary child. Rousseau is perhaps more famous for spawning a different revolution, the French Revolution, and a closer look at his account of civil society shows us why.
1 679) ACCORDING T O THO MAS HOBB ES, THERE IS, B Y NATURE, N O GOOD and evil, right and wrong, just and unjust. Left to ourselves, inde pendent of society and in our natural condition, we are creatures entirely without conscience, ruled solely by pleasure and pain, rav enous in our desires and ruthless in their pursuit. If that redefini tion of human nature weren't bad enough, Hobbes added the insidious notion that human rights are simply equivalent to human desires (however sordid), so that whatever we happen to desire, we have a right to by nature.