By Chris Williams
A significant other to Nineteenth-Century Britain offers 33 essays through specialist students on all of the significant elements of the political, social, monetary and cultural heritage of england throughout the overdue Georgian and Victorian eras.
- Truly British, instead of English, in scope.
- Pays cognizance to the reports of ladies in addition to of fellows.
- Illustrated with maps and charts.
- Includes publications to extra reading.
Read or Download A Companion to 19th-Century Britain PDF
Similar great britain books
Книга Nineteenth-Century Britain: a really brief advent Nineteenth-Century Britain: a truly brief advent Книги Иностранные языки Автор: Christopher Harvie, H. C. G. Matthew Год издания: 2005 Формат: pdf Издат. :Oxford college Press, united states Страниц: 172 Размер: 2,1 Mb ISBN: 0192853988 Язык: Английский0 (голосов: zero) Оценка:The 19th century was once a time of huge development for Britain.
Scottish Renaissance Armies 1513-1550 КНИГИ ;ВОЕННАЯ ИСТОРИЯ Издательство: Osprey Publishing LtdСерия: Elite 167Автор(ы): Jonathan CooperЯзык: EnglishГод издания: 2008Количество страниц: ISBN: 9781846033254Формат: pdf OCRРазмер: 25,8 mbThis publication info the armies of what's referred to as ‘the tough Wooing’ – the main lively interval of Scottish battle, which observed conflicts opposed to either the English Tudor monarchs, and striking inner struggles among the Stuart kings and their unruly lords within the Highlands.
The Enlightenment has frequently been written approximately as a chain of disembodied 'great ideas'. the purpose of this ebook is to place the ideals of the Enlightenment firmly into their social context, through revealing the nationwide soils during which they have been rooted and the explicit reasons for which they have been used. It brings out the neighborhood divergences of the Enlightenment adventure, formed via assorted neighborhood highbrow and monetary priorities.
A fascinating portrait of lifestyles in Britain throughout the first half the 20 th century because the state recovered from the grand wreckage of the British EmpireBeyond trenches, flappers, and Spitfires, it is a tale of odd cults and fiscal insanity, of revolutionaries and heroic inventors, sexual experiments, and raucous level heroines.
- Matthew Arnold
- Back Roads Great Britain (Eyewitness Travel Back Roads)
- Britain and Ireland, 900-1300: Insular Responses to Medieval European Change
- War of 1812
Additional resources for A Companion to 19th-Century Britain
165. Harley, ‘Foreign trade’, p. 328. Mathias, First Industrial Nation, p. 467. , ‘Foreign investment and accumulation, 1860–1914’, in R. C. Floud and D. McCloskey, eds, The Economic History of Britain Since 1700, vol. 1. D. C. M. Platt, Mickey Mouse Numbers in World History (Basingstoke, 1989). S. ’, Economic History Review, 38 (1985). A. H. Imlah, Economic Elements in the Pax Britannica: Studies in British Foreign Trade in the Nineteenth Century (Cambridge, MA, 1958). M. Edelstein, ‘Imperialism: cost and benefit’, in R.
16. For a fascinating assessment of some post-structuralist scholarship by an exponent of the ‘high politics’ approach see M. Bentley, ‘Victorian politics and the linguistic turn’, Historical Journal, 42 (1999). 17. Even a very traditional text (dominated by a political narrative) such as W. D. Rubinstein, Britain’s Century: A Political and Social History 1815–1905 (London, 1998) includes a chapter on gender. 18. R. Price, British Society, 1680–1880: Dynamism, Containment and Change (Cambridge, 1999), p.
4 per cent of the increase in total exports 1814/18 to 1842/6. 9 to 21 per cent, just as that of northern Europe and the USA fell from 44 per cent in 1814/18 to 27 per cent in 1842/6. 4 These trends provide essential clues as to the next great change in the political economy of trade, the shift to free trade in the 1840s. Part of this shift was an awareness of the stickiness of exports to Europe, the lack of return goods in payment for British exports, and even apprehension that Europe would industrialize behind tariff barriers.